- Cindy Koon, English teacher and newspaper advisor at South Pointe High School, whose print newspaper (SPiN, https://twitter.com/SPiNwired_ on twitter) students recently earned three first-place and two third-place awards (out of 10 categories) in the state-wide fall competition sponsored by the S. C. Scholastic Press Association.
- Alice Hinton, in Facilities Services Work Control, who has been invited by Schooldude to assist the Product Management Team with new Schooldude designs for the Maintenance Direct System.
- Rock Hill High’s mascot, Rocky the Bearcat, who has been invited to perform in pre-game festivities at the 2015 Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl in Orlando on . Jacob Strickland, who’s Rocky, is a senior who earned All-American status through the Universal Cheerleaders Assn. summer camp in Auburn, Alabama, this past July. He is also the son of Rebecca (Becky) Strickland, instructional coach at Castle Heights.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Congratulations to . . .
Breakfast with Santa
The PTO at Sunset Park Elementary School will host “Breakfast with Santa” this , between at Fatz Café on Herlong Avenue. The cost will be $7/adults and $4/child. There’s a rumor that Santa may bring Mrs. Claus this year, so this would also be a great photo opportunity!
Posted by Jim Vining at 2:34 PM
Monday, December 15, 2014
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Holiday Greetings from the ATC
The ATC wants to share holiday greetings, especially since the beautiful card was designed by one of its students, Cashton Christensen. Christopher Valk’s Digital Art and Design 1 students competed to create a card to represent ATC. About 90 entries were voted on by students and staff, and Cashton’s design was chosen as the winner.
National Recognition for Energy Management
Rock Hill Schools has received notification from Energy Star that it’s in a select group of school districts across the country for having five schools certified as Energy Star schools in one year (Actually, we had six—4 elementary schools and two middle.) Of 27 schools in the district, 19 are certified as Energy Star Schools, and the District Office has the Energy Star designation. Our district attributes such success to the awareness of its employees and students to the importance of energy conservation. However, special tribute goes to Kim Melander (Energy & Systems Mgr.),Brian Vaughan (Director of Facilities Services), Bryan Gordon (building automation) and each school’s energy team.
- Northside Elementary School – Second-graders will perform “Jingle Bell Jukebox” at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 12 in the sanctuary at Eastside Baptist Church. Third-graders will perform “Dig It: The Musical” at 7:00 p.m. Dec. 18 in the Saluda Trail Auditorium. Performances will be directed by Kelly Passmore.
- Saluda Trail Middle School – Choruses, directed by Pamella Johnson, will present their winter concert at 7:00 p.m. Dec. 11 in the school auditorium.
Bearcats Christmas Project
Hats off to Anita Benfield, registrar at Rock Hill High. For the eighth year, Anita has coordinated the Bearcats Christmas Project which, this year, has raised $1,800. Faculty members donate items for a silent auction. The money raised goes to buy Christmas gifts for RHH’s needy students and younger siblings. For the past two years, Teacher Cadets have volunteered after school to shop and wrap presents because of the volume of gifts.
The South Pointe Stallions, the new 3A State Champion Football Team, has lots of championship gear for sale. To place an order, contact Coach Gerald Peake at email@example.com.
Upcoming Community Events
- The City of Rock Hill Community Relations Council will host the 12th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr., Interfaith Prayer Breakfast from 7:30-9:00 at First Baptist Church (off Dave Lyle Blvd). on Monday, January 19. Carl L. Solomon, of the Columbia Solomon Law Group, will be the keynote speaker. Tickets, at $15, are available at City Hall, 155 Johnston Street.
- The 19th Annual Rock Hill Police Charity Ball, the proceeds of which support the summer Worthy Boys and Girls Camps, will be held on February 7 at Events at Manchester. The cost will be $75/person for this semi-formal event, and entertainment will be provided by “Peace and Love.” For more information or tickets, call 803.329-7285 or 803.329-5583.
District Partner in the “Spotlight”
The administration of Rock Hill Schools would like to say “Thank You” to the following employees from PPG Industries in Chester who have requested 2014 grants from the PPG Industries Foundation for our schools:
=Christopher McKee - $1,000 for Castle Heights Middle School
=Peggy Dunn, Bennix Currence, Tammy Davis – $4,000 for Lesslie Elementary
=Christopher McKee - $1,000 for Mount Gallant Elementary
=Gerald Moore - $1,000 for Mount Holly Elementary
=Jens Schoenfuss - $1,000 for Northside Elementary School of the Arts
=James McManus - $1,965 for Oakdale Elementary School
=Bennix Currence - $1,000 for Old Pointe Elementary School
=Joshua Perkins - $1,000 for Rosewood Elementary School
=Amanda Adams, Karen Bailey, Jens Schoenfuss, Alan Toney - $3,995 for Saluda Trail Middle School
Posted by Jim Vining at 9:52 PM
Monday, December 1, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
The SC Athletics Coaches Association established the Mr. Football award in 1995. Seven former recipients have played or are currently playing in the National Football League.
“This year’s finalists have outstanding credentials,” says Keith Richardson, co-director of the Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Bowl and former head coach at Clinton High School. “And I also think it is a group that displays great character off the field, too. That is an important aspect of the award taken into consideration when we make these selections.”
This year, fans are invited to cast an online vote for their favorite Mr. Football finalist. To participate, vote @ http://scliving.coop/web-exclusives/mrfootball/.
The 2014 Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Bowl, North vs. South All-Star game is played at noon December 13 at Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium in Myrtle Beach.
Friday, November 14, 2014
Parents who are interested in “choice” schools for their children will want to attend the “Choice School Fair” from 6:30-8:00 on Thursday evening, Nov. 20, in the gym at Sullivan Middle School. For information on the admission process or the dates when each school of choice will host its own information night (FAQ’s), go to http://www.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/schools/schoolsofchoice.aspx.
If you’re a runner or enjoy watching others run, you may want to participate in the 4th Annual “Gobble Wobble” on Saturday, Nov. 22, sponsored by the Rock Hill Junior Welfare League. Proceeds will go to the Rock Hill Fire Department for its Fire Prevention Museum.
“A Night of Jazz”
The family of Dwayne Mattison, a former football and track coach at Saluda Trail Middle School, will host a “Night of Jazz” from 6:00-9:00 this Saturday, Nov. 15, in the gym at Saluda Trail to support the Coach Dwayne F. Mattison Scholarship Fund. Tickets are on sale now at Saluda Trail, but they will be available at the door.
Coach Mattison, who passed away in March 2013 and who had also coached at Oakdale Elementary and at South Pointe High School, was dedicated to the success of student athletes. The scholarships in his memory will be made available to a deserving student athlete each year in the Rock Hill area.
Sunset Park to Host Town Hall Meeting
The second of four “Town Hall” meetings with Supt. Kelly Pew will be held from 6:00-7:00 Tuesday evening, Nov. 18, at Sunset Park Center for Accelerated Studies. The meeting will be open to all Rock Hill citizens who are interested in the progress of Rock Hill Schools and its challenges and who would like to provide input on the district’s operating budget for next school year.
Sodexo and “Stop Hunger” Campaign
Sodexo recently held a food drive in our schools and collected 1200 pounds of canned goods and cash for the Second Harvest Food Bank of the Carolinas. The work they’re doing is commendable, and we’re proud to have Sodexo in our district.
- ▼ December (4)
- ► 2013 (158)
- ► 2012 (495)
- ► 2011 (492)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (327)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies