Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Rock Hill School District News For Tuesday, July 3, 2012
From Elaine T. Baker, Director of Information Services, Rock Hill Schools
The Rock Hill School district will hold a back-to-school event for teachers and administrators on Friday morning, August 17, from 9:00-10:30 in the auditorium at South Pointe High School. Ron Berger, author of An Ethic of Excellence, will be the keynote speaker.
School Board to Meet July 16
When the school board approved the operating budget for 2012-13 on June 25, it was approved based on the contingency that the anticipated funding from the state would be provided. The state's budget has now been approved. However, school districts will not get "hold harmless" funds (calculation of the Education Finance Act funding formula due to provision for Act 388); and for Rock Hill Schools, this amounts to a reduction in funding of $1.2 million. Therefore, the school board will meet at 11 a.m. July 16 to get a report on the administration's recommendation to the budget to allow for this loss in revenue. It is expected the board will take some action after the recommendation.
ExplanationWhen the Rock Hill School Board approved its operating budget of$124,916,000 on June 25, approval was based on the contingency that all anticipated state funds would be provided. When the state budget was approved last week, the budget did not include "hold harmless" funds for school districts across the state. This resulted in a loss of $1.2 million for Rock Hill Schools.
When Act 388 was approved in 2006, S.C. taxpayers no longer had to pay residential property taxes, causing districts to lose lots of tax dollars for education. To offset this loss in funds, the state provided districts with "hold harmless" funds to compensate for their loss in tax dollars. The S.C. General Assembly, which approves a state budget each year, has now decided that "hold harmless" funding has ended.
South Carolina's Tax-Free Weekend
August 3-5 are the dates for S.C.'s tax-free weekend. Tax-free savings will apply to clothing, accessories, footwear, school supplies, computers and computer equipment.
The American Red Cross has an emergency need for blood and platelet donors of all blood types. In an effort to help, the Rock Hill Central City Optimist Club will sponsor a blood drive this Saturday, July 7, at the Rock Hill Galleria between 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
School Supply Drive
On Tuesday, July 10, and Thursday, July 26, Chick-fil-A on Cherry Road will host Back-to-School Spirit Days for Rock Hill Schools from 11:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Proceeds from collected receipts will be donated to the district for its School Supply Drive to benefit students in need of assistance. Volunteers are needed at Chick-fil-A for both dates to assist with creating an awareness of the need in our community; to accept monetary donations for supplies; and to recruit volunteers who wish to serve at our supply distribution event on Saturday, August 11, at the Rock Hill Flexible Learning Center. The name of each donor contributing $10 or more will be entered into a drawing on July 27 for a tailgate party for eight. To register for a time slot on July 10, July 26, or for August 11, contact Serena Williams at email@example.com or call 981-1006.
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (158)
- What is Fire?
- What Not To Do With IPAD Introduction
- Price Shop For School Supplies
- What A Presenter Should Know
- Perils of Social Promotion
- The World Has Changed - Have Schools?
- What Great Teachers Do Different
- The Mooresville Story on 1 to 1 Student Learning
- Rock Hill School Board Extends Superintendent's co...
- A Teacher's Favorite IPAD Apps.
- High School Soccer Programs Might See Talent Drain...
- Old Teacher Training Film on Classroom Management
- Moseley Architects Managing Lesslie Elementary Sch...
- Bubble Science
- High School Senior on TED
- Creativity Takes Time
- SC Department Of Education Issues Drop Out Report
- Rock Hill School Board Takes Money From Reserves T...
- Disrupting The System
- It's About Content!
- 66 Teacher Discounts
- What a Child Prodigy Looks Like
- Tips For Starting Technology in School
- Rock Hill Teachers in China
- New Rock Hill School District Reports Are Out
- 2010 Census Data on Education
- A Message About Public Education
- Students and Technology
- Ron Berger To Speak to Rock Hill School District o...
- Computer-i-tist - For Business and Education
- Closing The Achievement Gap in Canada
- Something To Think About in Public Education
- Rock Hill School District News For Tuesday, July 3...
- Who Is Leading Our Future?
- Nerd Parody of Friday Video
- Free Way For Teachers To Text Class
- ▼ July (36)
- ► 2011 (491)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies