Below are a selection of the responses provided by 247 teachers of the Rock Hill School District. I'm not sure what the results tell you. Should there be a concern that only 25% responded? Was there equal representation from across the district to give some statistical significant's? Would you go to the bank with this?
- Integrate them into daily use like attendance, e-mail, etc.
- Help us find relevant apps
- Provide information about the vision and plan
- Subject and grade level specific professional development
- Show how the device can enhance teaching and learning
- Extensive professional development training/play
How can we garner support from students?
- No problem – they love it!
- Provide access for everyone
- Instill pride of being on cutting edge
How can we garner support from parents?
- Communicate – host parent nights – parent seminars
- Show the benefits
- Show the data for how it improves achievement
- Address safety training
- Make it affordable – offer incentives or discounts
- Rent-to-own, or payment plans would help
How can we garner support from the community?
- Make it the message of how they benefit students
- Explain future jobs effect
- Show how we save money
- Have students do the talking – show student work
- Ask for ways for students to “earn” an iPad
What types of professional development do we need for teachers?
- How to integrate into meaningful instruction
- Teachers teaching teachers
- Ongoing and informal
- Integrated with Common Core
- Different levels (basic, intermediate, advanced)
What type of professional development do we need for parents?
- Basic skills – iParents 101
- How to take care of it
- How to learn on it
- Monitor use – safety
How can we raise money to help families who may not be able to purchase an iPad for their children?
- Don’t just give it – students should have to earn it
- Must demonstrate need
- Business donations
- Solicit help from PTO, Boosters, and SICs
- Write grants
What kind of technical support is needed? Who can provide this support?
- Direct support from Apple
- Hotline, Help Desk, Frequently Asked Questions, How To Manual
- Partner with local businesses willing to volunteer
- District Office Technology Team
- Media Specialist at each school
- Teacher professional development
- School-based teacher or assistant
- Partner with York Technical College
- Student interns
What is your greatest concern?
- Theft, damage, loss of the iPads
- Widening the digital divide
- Monitoring and supervision of inappropriate use
- Cost of apps and iTunes
- Not fair to pass on cost to parents
- Students who don’t have internet access at home
- Should be phased in
- Time for professional development
- Learning anytime anywhere
- 21st Century learners
- Going paperless
- Real world learning – preparing for global society
- Student engagement increases
- Ability to differentiate lessons
- Current information and research possibilities
- No textbooks