Thursday, January 24, 2013
Rock Hill School Employees Being Asked For Calendar Comments #rockhill #rockhillschools #rhschoolboard
This is a copy of the proposed Rock Hill School District calendar for the 2013-14 school year. School District employees are being requested to review the calendar, along with the explanations below, and offer suggestions for improvement by Jan. 31, 2013 so that it can be presented to the school board on Feb. 11. This calendar was devised by the district's Calendar Committee comprised of 3 high school students, 6 teachers, 4 parents and 3 administrators.
■There are 91 days in first semester and 89 in second semester.
■The Student Engagement Conference has been moved to earlier in October so that it does not conflict with a teacher's workday.
■Two "teacher days" are scheduled before the end of a grading period instead of following the grading period. The biggest complaint that some teachers on the Calendar Committee had was that workdays following grading periods are of little value to teachers because of the due date/time for the grades.
■There are more days in the calendar between the end of the grading period and the date when report cards go home. Teachers and administrators on the Calendar Committee feel that an additional day or two would not be of any concern to parents and would allow the D.O. more time to check, print and get report cards back to the schools for distribution. Parents on the Calendar Committee had no problem with this.
■The York County Calendar Committee and the Rock Hill Calendar Committee wanted to put spring break in the first week of April. However, HSAP testing has been slated for April 1-3 and HSAP make-up dates are scheduled for the week of April 7. The third week in April includes Good Friday as Easter is April 20.
There was some discussion in all York County school districts about requesting a "waiver" from the S.C. Dept. of Education to allow the districts to begin school earlier in August so High Schools would finish their classes before Christmas break. However, the criteria for getting a waiver is amazingly hard to meet, so Rock Hill and Fort Mill districts have already decided not to pursue a waiver at this time.
Elaine T. Baker, Director of Information Services, Rock Hill Schools
- ► 2014 (65)
- Trojans on Signing Day #rockhill #rockhillschools
- Rock Hill School District News For Thursday, Janua...
- Rock Hill Herald's Education Reporter is Moving on...
- Rock Hill iRock Critique Teams Start Meeting Thurs...
- Rock Hill School Board Business Meeting on Monday ...
- Rock Hill School District Foundation Gala #rockhil...
- Rock Hill Schools Update #rockhillschools #rockhil...
- Rock Hill School Employees Receive Grant Money #ro...
- Rock Hill School Employees Being Asked For Calenda...
- Rock Hill Junior Achievement Fundraiser #rockhill ...
- What Should SC Schools Look Like? #rhschoolboard
- #iRockrh Twitter Chats Start Tuesday
- What's Happening in Education #rockhillschools
- #Rockhill #1 Question Winter Newsletter
- #iRockrh Informational Meeting on Tuesday
- Input Needed on Rock Hill School Board Policies #r...
- Important Rock Hill School District Weather Inform...
- Ebinport School Improvement Council up for State A...
- A Must Watch Video
- School Lockdowns #rhschoolboard
- Rock Hill School District News For January 11 #roc...
- Rock Hill School Board January Work Session #rhsch...
- Community Meeting on #iRockrh #rockhill
- iRock Vision Casting #iRockrh #rockhill #rockhills...
- January 8, 2013 Rock Hill School District News #ro...
- A 21st Century Skill or Tool? #rhschoolboard
- What Does a Good School Look Like? #rhschoolboard
- Tour of Space Station
- Do Schools Need Social Media Policies?
- Words To Live By #rhschoolboard
- ▼ January (30)
- ► 2012 (495)
- ► 2011 (491)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies