Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Marlee's Story

Almost everyone has been touched by cancer, either through their own personal battle or through someone they love. Marlee is the daughter of a good friend of mine. Below is Marlee's story:

I am a cancer patient. I was first diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2006, a month after graduating from Fort Mill High School. Barely over a year later in early 2008, I was diagnosed with a rare soft-tissue cancer called Alveolar Soft-Part Sarcoma, and I have been fighting it ever since. I have had surgeries, cryotherapy, and radiation therapy, as well as conventional & research chemotherapies through clinical trials. I have had blood tests, breathing tests, CTs, PETs, and MRIs. I have traveled to Boston, New York, Detroit, and Washington DC for treatment. I've felt the effects of cancer on myself, and have seen it in my friends, my family, and even acquaintances. I hate what I see everyone going through, and that is why I Relay.

I am participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life because I want to make a meaningful difference in the fight against cancer. I want to help put an end to this disease. I want to find a therapy that works for my cancer, I want to see my friends I've met through clinical trials 100% healthy again, and I want to stop the hurt & general feeling of helplessness that follows the word "cancer" everywhere it goes.


Marlee lost her battle this month. Click here for a link to Marlee's Relay for Life page and consider making a donation.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Edutopia

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon