Monday, August 6, 2012
Every Child Deserves a Shot - August 11, 2012
I wanted to make everyone aware of an upcoming fundraiser for a global vaccination program called "Shot@Life" (go to ShotatLife.org for more information on this program). The three SC "Mom Congress" representatives (Yolanda Gordon, Windy Tuck and I) are organizing this event at the Museum of York County on Saturday, August 11 from 5-7 because "Every Child Deserves a Shot at.... A Night at the Museum."
Every 20 seconds, a child dies of a vaccine preventable illness somewhere in the world. The Shot at Life Campaign was recently launched by the UN Foundation in partnership with American Academy of Pediatrics, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Rotary and many other partners to raise money to vaccinate children in developing countries against routine childhood illness such as Rota-virus or Pneumococcus. $20 buys 4 vaccines for children who might otherwise not have the benefit of immunization.
This is a global program WITH LOCAL IMPLICATIONS: families in our community sometimes choose not to vaccinate their children due to fear or misinformation. We live in a global society, and until we eradicate illnesses like polio or measles, one unvaccinated child can easily introduce these highly contagious and lethal illnesses into a doctor's waiting room OR A CLASSROOM and infect vulnerable infants and children. Shot at Life reminds local families of the importance and power of keeping up with routine immunizations and how blessed we are that our children have easy access to life-saving vaccines.
I recently diagnosed an unvaccinated 4 year old with pertussis. The mortality rate of this disease (aka "whooping cough") is still 50% in babies less than 12 months. All 7th graders will be required to have an updated tetanus/pertussis vaccine in order to stay in school this fall. The Shot@Life campaign will help remind our local families to check on their own child's vaccine status. Your participation in this event can help save lives across the globe as well as right here in Rock Hill.
PLEASE PLAN TO COME IF YOU CAN, AND HELP US GET THE WORD OUT. Periwinkle's will help kids decorate cupcakes (because EVERY CHILD DESERVES A SHOT AT DECORATING AND EATING A CUPCAKE!!) and Girls on the Run will plan some games (because EVERY GIRL DESERVES A SHOT AT RUNNING A 5k). A representative from Sodexo will join us to talk about the healthy foods they will be serving this school year (because EVERY CHILD DESERVES A SHOT AT A GREAT SCHOOL LUNCH), and Rock Hill Pediatrics will be there with some doctor's hats for kids to wear (because EVERY CHILD DESERVES A SHOT AT WEARING A SILLY DOCTOR'S HAT). Kids will have the run of the museum (because EVERY CHILD DESERVES A NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM). No cost for admission: donations to Shot@Life strongly encouraged.
Come help us give every child in the Rock Hill School District a shot at getting a healthy start to the school year!
Thanks to all for all you do.
Martha Edwards, MD
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (158)
- Cover Girl - Denise Khaalid
- Online Learning - The Future of Education?
- Will Technology Engage Students?
- Example of Using IPAD in the Classroom
- Home School Video Looks A Lot Like Project Based S...
- Notes From Rock Hill School Board Business Meeting...
- Why Public Education?
- Rock Hill Teachers - Should You Ignor the IPADS
- History of Time
- Rock Hill School Board Business Meeting on Monday...
- More Tips For Technology Implementation
- Should We Benchmark These Schools?
- Rock Hill School Board Member on Wednesday's Strai...
- Comments on Our Race To The Top Grant Application
- Rock Hill School District News For Wednesday, Augu...
- Lesslie, Old Pointe, and Sunset Park Elementary Sc...
- 1995 Students
- It's Bar-B-Que Time!
- Does Public Education Cost Too Much?
- A Teachers Experience on How Public Schools Have C...
- The New Learner
- It's More Than Snakes!
- Tips For Teachers on Building a Social Platform
- Jeff Venables - Rock Hill School District Teacher ...
- Dr. Moody Talking About IPADS on Palmetto Mornings...
- Good Classroom Tips For IPADS
- Rock Hill Schools Update For Thursday, August 16, ...
- Are You Ready For Some Football?
- Project Based Learning For Rock Hill Schools?
- A Welcome Back Video for Teachers
- Rock Hill School Board Work Session Notes
- How Do They Jump So High?
- I Wonder????
- How Many of Your Principals Are Doing This?
- Belleview Parents Now Have Additional Options
- Rock Hill Response To Accountability Ratings
- Rock Hill School Board August Work Session on Mond...
- Shoes For Deserving Children
- Help Educators With Twitter
- Using Science to Trick a Friend
- Rock Hill Senior Citizen Passes For School Distric...
- Connected Learning - A Discussion
- Every Child Deserves a Shot - August 11, 2012
- What a 1 to 1 Learning School Looks Like
- Chris Smith on Straight Talk
- An Education Discussion Article
- An Interesting Discussion on Education
- Neat Way to Conference Call
- ▼ August (48)
- ► 2011 (491)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies