Friday, September 7, 2012
Rock Hill School District Update For Friday, September 7, 2012
From Elaine T. Baker, Director of Information Services, Rock Hill Schools
Congratulations to . . .
●Rock Hill Schools on receiving a $2,500 grant from First Book, in partnership with Domtar Paper Company, for use on the First Book Marketplace. To date, First Book has distributed more than 90 million books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low-income families throughout the U.S. and Canada.
●Rock Hill Schools on its selection as one of three finalists in the Charlotte Region 2012 Sustainable Business Awards Program for its energy conservation successes. The other two finalists are in NC: Newton Conover Middle School and Wake Forest University. (South Pointe is the district's focus school in the competition as it received an Energy Star rating of 93 this year.)
●Isabel Jurado Foundation - On Sept. 22 from 9:00-noon in the Gettys Art Center at the corner of Caldwell Street and Main in downtown Rock Hill, Yoga Mala will host a fundraiser to benefit the Isabel Jurado Foundation. Izzy Jurado, a 10-year-old student at Mount Holly Elementary, has Sanfillippo Syndrome, a genetic disorder for which there is no cure.
●Rock Hill High Golf Tournament - To raise money for travel, shoes, tournament fees, etc., for the basketball and baseball programs at Rock Hill High, the school will host its Third Annual Golf Tournament on October 29 at the Rock Hill Country Club.
Lecture Series to Feature China Trip
For the second year, the district will host a lecture series on topics that should interest district employees and many segments of the Rock Hill community. The first lecture on "Teaching in China" will be held from 7:00-8:30 p.m. on Sept. 27 in the auditorium at South Pointe. Presenters will be many of the teachers and administrators who traveled to China this summer and taught Chinese students and teachers. The series will be open to the public at no charge.
Sept. 10 School Board Work Session
The Rock Hill School board will hold a work session at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 10, in the D. O. Board Room. The meeting is open to the public. The agenda is below:
SCHOOL BOARD WORK SESSION
LOCATION: District Office
START: 5:30 p.m.
1 iPad Training ‐ Dropbox / Notability Joel Whitesides 5 minutes
2 Teen Center ‐ Community Collaboration Jaworowski / Cox 10 minutes
3 Wellness Committee Update Keith Wilks 15 minutes
4 Enrollment Kokolis / Partlow 15 minutes
5 Drop Out Prevention Luanne Kokolis 10 minutes
6 Common Core Stds Update on PD Harriet Jaworowski 10 minutes
7 GT Strategic Plan Mobley / Melzer 10 minutes
8 Community Conversations Bob Norwood 15 minutes
9 Internet Filter/YouTube Access Joel Whitesides 15 minutes
10 Revised Policy BEDB ‐ Agenda Elaine Baker 5 minutes
11 Riverwalk Reassignment Luanne Kokolis 5 minutes
12 9th Grade Girls Volleyball Pilot Luanne Kokolis 5 minutes
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (158)
- Public School Rap
- Majority on Board With Education Technology
- Education Video Available on Youtube
- IPAD is Just Like a Hammer
- Interview With National Teacher of the Year
- 50 Resources for Teachers
- School Lunch Makes The ABC News
- Good Teacher Habits For Today
- Rock Hill Fundraisers
- You Would Think This Was Common Sense
- September Rock Hill School Board Business Meeting ...
- Taking A Bath and Archimedes' Principal
- Frontline Looks at High School Drop Outs
- Rock Hill Schools To Begin Lecture Series
- A Rant Worth Discussing
- How Many Does Your School District Do?
- A Discussion on Explaining State Test Scores
- Rock Hill School News For Thursday, September 20. ...
- Student's View of Flipped Class
- What Does A Good School Board Look Like?
- Northwestern High School Grad Performing in Charle...
- Vollmer To Speak Live on Tuesday Night
- What Cynics and Education Reformers Don't Know
- Learn a 21st Century Skill Online
- The Skills Students Should Have Today
- A Tech Guy Talks About Devices in Education
- Tony Danza Talks About Teaching
- A School District's Story About Technology Integra...
- Rock Hill Makes Best List For Young People - 5 Yea...
- Ways For Your School To Communicate
- Rock Hill School District News For Tuesday, Septem...
- Northwestern High School Sports Fundraiser on Frid...
- Teachers Don't Want Youtube!
- Advice From A Nerdy Teacher
- Kickoff For Wes Hayes
- Note Taking on The IPAD
- Lessons From a 1 to 1 IPAD Implementation
- Another Way For Teachers to Text Students
- A Discussion on Funding Digital Learning
- Rock Hill School District Update For Friday, Septe...
- Apps For Students
- An Innovative Elementary School
- Rock Hill's Martinez Makes College Soccer News Nat...
- A Discussion on Temperature
- Professional Development For 1 to 1
- Report Says Students Prefer Books Over E-Readers
- More on Online Learning
- South Pointe High School Graduate Stars in Short V...
- ▼ September (49)
- ► 2011 (491)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies