Thursday, September 20, 2012
Rock Hill School News For Thursday, September 20. 2012
From Elaine T. Baker, Director of Information Services, Rock Hill Schools
"Teaching in China"
The first presentation of the district's Lecture Series 2012-13 will be held on Thursday evening, Sept. 27, in the South Pointe Auditorium from 7:00-8:30. The topic will be "Teaching in China." The presenters will be many of the teachers and administrators who taught Chinese students and teachers during the month of July.
Congratulations to . . .
►Dr. Julie Marshall (Rosewood) on being named one of the nation's top educators by the National Education Assn. Foundation. Nominated by the S. C. Education Assn., Julie will receive the foundation's Horace Mann Award for Teaching Excellence, $10,000 and recognition during an awards banquet in Washington, D. C., in 2013. Winning this award also places Julie as one of five national finalists for the NEA Member Benefits Award, which comes with a cash award of $25,000.
►Saluda Trail Middle School on receiving the Distinguished Arts Program Grant through the S.C. Dept. of Education. A team comprised of Pam Johnson, Myra Amler, Lauren Yon, Angie Clark, Margie Clark, Jim Koterba, Jean Stillman and several supporters, including Christine Fisher, Brenda Campbell, and Carolyn Moore, worked diligently to complete and submit the grant at the end of May. The $18,000 grant will be used to support and enhance arts education by providing materials, improving the arts environment and fund guest speakers and artists-in residence.
Sept. 24, 6:00 p.m. - School Board Business Meeting in D.O.
Sept. 27, 7:00-8:30 p.m. - "Teaching in China" Lecture Series Presentation
Oct. 7-15 - Fire Prevention Week
Oct. 8 - Columbus Day
Oct. 15-19 - School Lunch Week
Oct. 18, 10:18 a.m. - Earthquake Drill Exercise
Oct. 23-31 - Red Ribbon Week (Drug-Free America)
National Board Update
First-time candidates: An orientation/information session will be held in the Training Room in the D.O. on Tuesday, October 2, at 4 p.m. for those who have never submitted an application.
Retake candidates: The application for NB renewal is now available at www.nbpts.org. The application will close on January 31, 2013. NBCTs who were initially certified (or recertified) in 2003 and 2004 are eligible to apply. The renewal application is accessible via the NBCT's "My Profile" account. The total cost for NB renewal is $1250. All fees for renewal must be paid by April 30, 2013. CERRA will host a free, online renewal webinar on Oct. 11. Teachers should visit http://cerra.org/nationalboard/workshops.aspx for more information and to register for the webinar.
Worthy Boys & Girls Camp: The City of Rock Hill will host a fundraiser on October 13 to benefit the Worthy Boys and Girls Camp, a non-profit children's camp operated each summer by the Rock Hill Police Dept.
- ► 2014 (65)
- ► 2013 (158)
- Public School Rap
- Majority on Board With Education Technology
- Education Video Available on Youtube
- IPAD is Just Like a Hammer
- Interview With National Teacher of the Year
- 50 Resources for Teachers
- School Lunch Makes The ABC News
- Good Teacher Habits For Today
- Rock Hill Fundraisers
- You Would Think This Was Common Sense
- September Rock Hill School Board Business Meeting ...
- Taking A Bath and Archimedes' Principal
- Frontline Looks at High School Drop Outs
- Rock Hill Schools To Begin Lecture Series
- A Rant Worth Discussing
- How Many Does Your School District Do?
- A Discussion on Explaining State Test Scores
- Rock Hill School News For Thursday, September 20. ...
- Student's View of Flipped Class
- What Does A Good School Board Look Like?
- Northwestern High School Grad Performing in Charle...
- Vollmer To Speak Live on Tuesday Night
- What Cynics and Education Reformers Don't Know
- Learn a 21st Century Skill Online
- The Skills Students Should Have Today
- A Tech Guy Talks About Devices in Education
- Tony Danza Talks About Teaching
- A School District's Story About Technology Integra...
- Rock Hill Makes Best List For Young People - 5 Yea...
- Ways For Your School To Communicate
- Rock Hill School District News For Tuesday, Septem...
- Northwestern High School Sports Fundraiser on Frid...
- Teachers Don't Want Youtube!
- Advice From A Nerdy Teacher
- Kickoff For Wes Hayes
- Note Taking on The IPAD
- Lessons From a 1 to 1 IPAD Implementation
- Another Way For Teachers to Text Students
- A Discussion on Funding Digital Learning
- Rock Hill School District Update For Friday, Septe...
- Apps For Students
- An Innovative Elementary School
- Rock Hill's Martinez Makes College Soccer News Nat...
- A Discussion on Temperature
- Professional Development For 1 to 1
- Report Says Students Prefer Books Over E-Readers
- More on Online Learning
- South Pointe High School Graduate Stars in Short V...
- ▼ September (49)
- ► 2011 (491)
- ► 2010 (384)
- ► 2009 (326)
- ► 2008 (406)
Links of Interest
- South Carolina High School Sports Network
- South Carolina Labor Information
- South Carolina Information Highway
- Top 100 Blogs
- Historical SC Revenue Information
- Free Credit Report
- World Clock
- Rock Hill School District Foundation
- SC Family Friendly Standards
- SC Laws Concerning Education
- South Carolina School Improvement Council
- District 3 2007 AYP Results
- Safe Routes To School
- Get Any 2000 Census Information
- 2006 District 3 Report Cards
- District Three Jobs Available
- Grants for Education
- Donors Choose School Project Fund Site
- District Three Policies